By using the Daruma (だるま) Effect Sabitsuki becomes a quadruple amputee with bleeding limbs. The effect is purely cosmetic, and actually slows Sabitsuki down. It can be found in the Sugar Hole Painting, that is located behind the Cleaner in the back room of the Sugar Hole.
Left in Nexus, southeast to small house, go down stairs (ignore elevator), then go all the way to the right, up the stairs till you reach a rooftop with a floating box. Click it and watch out! You will have to dodge Kaibutsu if you do not have the right effects! Take the right path, and click another floating box. This will take you to another rooftop. Go into the door, then go down the steps, then go all the way to the right. You should encounter an elevator next to a blocked off staircase.
Enter the elevator. Then go all the way right (ignoring another elevator) till you enter a room with a bunch of tables. Go to the room in the middle and you should see a maid who will bow when you interact. A painting should be right above her. It would be wise to at least have the Ghost Effect since there are Kaibutsu in there; it is crawling with them.
Walk around as this place loops and can be disorientating. Do not go through the door you encounter because it will teleport you back to the Sugar Hole. For directions, go down from the entrance, then east past the door. Find a way to go up from the door, dodging the Kaibutsu till you see a long stretch with more blood than usual with a maid at the end. Interact.
- This effect is named after the Daruma doll, a Japanese traditional doll modeled after Bodhidharma, the founder of the Zen sect of Buddhism. Legend claims that Bodhidharma sat facing a wall in meditation for a period of nine years without moving, which caused his legs and arms to fall off from atrophy.
- Like Yume Nikki's Severed Head effect, Sabitsuki must interact with a weapon (the bloody chainsaw beside the gas-mask maid) in order to acquire it.
- When using the effect, Sabitsuki's speed is halved, and when she uses the action button, she falls over with a loud thud and from then on crawls on the floor. At this point, her speed is now a fourth of what it had been. After she falls over she can't re-right herself, as she doesn't have any limbs necessary to do so.
- The Daruma Effect, like many others, is an example of extreme body modification, a theme that seems present throughout the game.
- The Daruma effect could be the result of a possible amputation route that was an alternative solution to her disease.
- If one considers it, this could be foreshadowing to the True Ending, where Sabitsuki has her legs cut off, after charging towards a Cleaner.